Summer’s heating up, and people are hitting the road. When traffic increases, so do accidents and injuries. However, there are many other types of issues drivers experience when returning to the road. While your bread and butter is in towing cars where they need to go for servicing or storage, many calls for help require you to use various other skills to ease customers’ emotions and get them back on the road safely. Helping customers in these situations may not generate a good deal of revenue directly, but responding to customers who find themselves in stressful situations promotes your service and generates valuable word-of-mouth referrals to your towing business.
Here are the top five non-accident related reasons customers call towing business and services for help:
- “My car won’t start.” Americans limited travel over the past year and cars customarily used for daily commutes sat idle while their owners worked from home. As a result, many vehicles have likely not received their regular servicing and maintenance and may suffer various issues. Cars that have not been started and used for extended periods may need a bit of a boost to get them running again.
- “I think the battery is dead.” One of the most common causes of a dead battery is accidentally leaving an interior light on–typically by a young child pushing buttons or accidentally bumping one of the switches during daylight hours. Even with the best maintenance, the lifespan of batteries is limited. Regardless of why it occurred, having a dead battery is a common reason to need help on the road.
- “I got a flat tire.” Almost every driver has experienced having a flat tire on the road at some point in their life. There is an abundance of causes of flat tires–from driving over sharp objects on the road to failing to replace tires with worn-out treads. Regular tire rotation can help extend the life of tires, but people frequently skip this type of maintenance when more critical (and costly) needs arise. Sometimes a quick tire change to put the spare on is all you need to do to help the driver get out of a challenging situation.
- “There’s smoke coming from my engine.” Vehicle owners can become very alarmed when smoke or steam creeps out from under the hood. The culprit is often an aged and worn radiator hose but can also be insufficient coolant fluids or low oil levels. Helping the driver look under the hood to identify simple issues and getting the car quickly to a mechanic will help ease the customer’s mind.
- “I locked my keys in the car.” There’s nothing worse than realizing the instant the car door closes that the keys are still inside. For families on road trips, this scenario can be frightening and stressful. Having tools on hand to help people get back into their vehicles easily will quickly bring them relief.
With Collins Dollies, it’s fast and easy to get any vehicle where it needs to go.
At Collins Dollies, we manufacture the lightest, safest, most serviceable, and most advanced towing equipment to keep your employees hauling vehicles safely and quickly. With Collins Dollies, it’s simple to get any vehicle out of the toughest spots and to its destination safe and sound. When you’re looking for a solid investment to expand your tow company’s capabilities, check out our Hi-Speed® Dolly and Carrier Dolly systems. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your business grow.